Friday, April 11, 2008

By Way of Introduction

Let me first tell you about myself briefly so you can understand where I am coming from. My name is Raglan Riviere. My friends call me Rags. This in no way describes me literally! But, I give you permission to call me by this pet name. What's in a name, anyway.

I was born in the beautiful Island of the Commonwealth of Dominica, known as the Nature Isle of the Caribbean. I wouldn't be surprised if you think I am referring to the Dominican Republic. I am most definitely NOT and I hope you remember to tell your friends. Google us and share your discovery.

Let's continue introducing myself. About 50 years ago I left my home, encouraged by British Foreign Office recruiters, to join the R.A.F with the chief objective of furthering my education. I obtained the purpose but did not return until 1969 to join the Dominica Civil Service. I served my country until 1978 before migrating to my adopted country, Canada. If you think you need to know more about me, see my mini biography at My Mini Bio.

I am writing this blog because I am concerned about my country, and in particular, its continued intellectual drain. We can reverse this loss if we are willing, but there are artificial obstacles placed in the way. It is time we got rid of them.

This blog will discuss the following topics:

  1. Why and should we migrate from developing countries
  2. Brain Drain and Dominican Diaspora - Pt. One
  3. Brain Drain and Dominican Diaspora - Pt. Two
  4. How the Diaspora Assists its Homeland
  5. A Seamless Dominica-Diaspora: Legal Framework
  6. A Seamless Dominica-Diaspora: The Reality
  7. A Seamless Dominica and Economic Development
Continue

No comments: